Saying Goodbye to the Office

/
0 Comments


I couldn't help it, I had to rewatch the Finale show of The Office again last night. Not going to deny it, I shed some tears watching the tear-eyed actors share about their time on the set.  I felt like I was actually saying goodbye to friends that I grew up with. In thinking about it, I did grow up with the characters. (also growing was my celebrity crush on the one and only, Jim Halpert)

I can't pinpoint when I actually started watching the show. What I can remember is microwaving popcorn in my freshman dorm and racing up to the commons area every Thursday at 9 to catch the opening scene and hear the "dun dun dunananana" (which became my ringtone for months... quickly ruining the catchy rythm of it). My sophmore year in college, "Office Parties" were had in the small living room of my off campus apartment. Some nights we would have up to 20 of us, huddled in, to watch Andy punch through walls and cheer on Jim and Pam's blossoming relationship on the screen. Many rainy summer nights were spent in Austin's parents basement watching re-runs of whatever season looked appealing.

"that's what she said's", "bears, beats, battlestar galactica" and Andy's infamous "Rit-Dit-Dit-Duh-Doo" would randomly often pop up in conversation among friends.

The show had genuine heart to it. You could relate to the characters in really weird ways. You could even take the most obnoxious of characters (like Kelly) and find yourself rooting for her and Ryan to actually end up together. Or take Merideth, who gets excited to see her son walk in the door as the stripper at Angela's bachlorette party, or keeps a fifth in the bottom drawer of her desk at work. Whaaaaat? Who does that? And yet, you just can't help but love her.

And the best relationship of all: Jim and Dwight. The best man scene at the end of the finale.... cue the water works. Through their sarcastic, joke playing relationship, came such a strange deep friendship. And then you have Micheal Scott, Dwight's hero and fatherlike figure (despite his lack of father like maturity), coming in to take over as place as best man. Micheal Scott, who you just feel uncomfortable for half of the time, and wish for him to just keep his mouth shut... and yet, you just never know what's going to come from his awkward character. I think that's what the producers did best in the show. They had a way of adding just enough serious and funny.. to make the show unpredictable and hillarious. Like when Dwight comforts Pam as she cries and he asks her if she's PMS'ing. Or take the wedding scene, where Michael sits basking in the serenity of the wedding reception and says,"I feel like all my kids grew up and married each other," he said, beaming with pride. And then: "It's like every parent's dream."

And I quote Andy Bernard: "I wish there was a way to know you're in the good ol' days before you actually left them". How often do we neglect the imporance of each and every character in our own lives? Each relationship that we build, even if it is the awkward boss at work or obnoxious friend who doesn't pick up on your sarcasm? Each and every person still brings an element to life, that keeps things exciting and brings meaning. Memories are always being made, even when we strive to be somewhere else in our lives. 

Pam said it best. "There's a lot of beauty in ordinary things. Isn't that kind of the point?"

Nicely done Producers of the Office.

Ya did good.

... that's what she said.






You may also like

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.

Search This Blog