that guy was the "mann"

/
0 Comments

Growing up a DC Talk fan, I always remember that crackly voice that acted as the intro to What if I Stumble...

"The greatest single cause of atheism in the world today is Christians, who acknowledge Jesus with their lips, then walk out the door, and deny him by their lifestyle. That is what an unbelieving World simply finds unbelievable". 

Didn't realize, until today, that those are the words of Brennan Manning, who passed away earlier this week. A few years ago a friend of mine had recommended that I read his book, The Ragamuffin Gospel. Brennan's message in this book had quite the resonanating impact on me and my walk with Christ.

I'm reminded, even this week, of how draining life can be when I'm constantly looking for my worth in who I associate with, what I do for a living, how I'm serving, where I go to church, and so on and so forth.. Manning gave such a refreshing reminder that Jesus came to deliver us from our inadequacies, doubts, shame... and he gives immeasurable GRACE. Grace that I honestly can't even begin to wrap my head around. I don't have to keep performing for God. His grace is enough.

The book reminded me of who Jesus really was and why he came to this Earth. Jesus deeply cared for people. He came to hang out with the "bedraggled, beat-up and burnt out"ragamuffins. His decisions didn't seem logical to the World. The people he chose to spend his time with didn't seem "worthy"... and that's who Jesus was.

Friend to the sinners. A healer to the broken. Direction for the lost.

"The ragamuffin who sees his life as a voyage of discovery and runs the risk of failure has a better feel for faithfulness than the timid man who hides behind the law and never finds out who he is at all."

... Thanks for the legacy Mr. Manning.




You may also like

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.

Search This Blog